Mobility is a fundamental aspect to cover the basic needs of society. Without mobility systems, communities would be unable to function adequately, but it is increasingly obvious that catering to the world’s growing demands for mobility is not possible by simply extending the existing models. Mobility systems and transport infrastructures need to be more efficient, accessible and fair, reducing their impact on the environment and positively contributing to society whilst at the same time providing quality services in line with users’ changing needs.
Committed to this transformation, at Globalvia we integrate sustainability throughout all the processes comprising our value chain, focusing our action on 4 strategic lines and 16 key objectives defined in our Strategic Sustainability Plan “Sustamobility 2024”.
Our four strategic lines on the subject of sustainability have therefore been defined as follows:
- Mobility centered on our users.
- Infrastructure to mitigate climate change.
- CSR to support people, communities and diversity.
- Enforcing good governance in our relationships.
Aware of the strong link between two of the fundamental pillars that define what we are, namely innovation and sustainability, we have developed the strategic line “Sustainable mobility”. This comes about with the aim of incentivizing the sustainable side of mobility and improving the quality of life in cities through innovation and development of better multimodal transport systems that are better connected. This will help us to improve the user experience for people who place their trust in us every day when travelling, and to strengthen our relations with the local communities in the six countries where we currently operate.
Openvia, our technological platform through which we channel and drive all our transformation, digitization and innovation initiatives, plays an important role in achieving these goals. Therefore, over the last few months we have been working on different initiatives and projects that prove our commitment to sustainable mobility and infrastructures that are resilient to climate change. Attention is brought to some of them:
- Multimodality – Meep Sevilla by Globalvia > In collaboration with Meep, we have committed to mobility as a service through an App that offers the possibility of planning multimodal travel (metro, bus, electric scooter, taxi, car parks, and other options) and simple click payment. Meep Sevilla by Globalvia provides users with more connected, sustainable mobility by encouraging the use of alternative transport rather than private vehicles, and allows users to choose the most convenient route at any given time.
- Connected vehicles and roads > Interaction between infrastructures, connected vehicles and drivers will permit services to be offered leading to more sustainable mobility. According to a recent study by PwC, 70% of cars will be connected by 2030, hence the need arises to further develop the concept of smart roads. Through Openvia, we have established an alliance with Salesforce to jointly develop one of the most advanced smart road ecosystems in the world. This SaaS solution -Software as a Solution-, has the goal of managing users’ mobility by integrating Salesforce’s cloud solutions to help create digital capacities that these new assets require.
- ZBE – One ZBE Solution > We commit to applying the new Climate Change Law that encourages the deployment of Low Emissions Zones to encompass a total of 149 Spanish towns and cities with over 50,000 inhabitants as of 2023. In this regard, we seek to be the lever to deploy this solution in these areas quickly and efficiently through Openvia and other partners to ensure it has a positive impact on citizens. This added value proposal aims to combine solid experience in mobility operations, artificial intelligence and prediction based on imagery analysis to provide insights into traffic and pollution in real time.
- Development of Urban Air Mobility > In conjunction with Ehang, the world’s leading company in Autonomous Aerial Vehicles (“AAV”), we are seeking to speed up the study and joint prospection of services and solutions in this regard, with a special focus on logistics and passenger transport services, both urban and long distance, public and private.This is part of how we are promoting new sustainable, environmentally friendly aerial mobility solutions.
- Chargers and electric stations > Another of the actions we are carrying out to promote the use of clean transport is the installation of electric vehicle charging points outside the stations at Metro de Sevilla, at the offices of our Portuguese concessions and along our toll roads in Costa Rica and Chile. In addition to this, we have installed parking areas for scooters and bicycles inside the Metro de Sevilla stations with electric charging points, thus encouraging multimodal mobility and the combined use of sustainable transport.
These actions are just a few examples of all the initiatives that we outline in our Strategic Sustainability Plan, “Sustaimobility 2024”, and which we are working on day in, day out to address the challenges facing us as a transforming agent.
At Globalvia we have kicked off a more connected, collaborative, sustainable society, in line with our objective: to continue growing together.
Changing the world together!